Friday, March 9, 2012

Tips and Tricks of the Trade

One of my favorite things to do is scour the internet for new ideas for this weight loss. I don’t mean new diet fads, pills, or surgery. I like just simple tips and tricks. Everyone has their own tricks and tips to lose weight. Everyone has what works for them. These are what I’ve learned works for me over this journey:
1.       I drink A LOT. I can’t just do water, so my list includes black coffee and unsweetened tea.  It helps reduce my boredom eating. It flushes out your system. It keeps my hands busy doing something instead of filling them full of calories. It’s something I can focus on other than food.
2.       I wasn’t ever a big proponent of no carbs, but I have to admit, since I’ve been “limiting” them (attempt to keep my number at 60 or less) I have increased my weight loss. I never have a hamburger or hot dog bun, I never eat rice, I use the thin-sandwich bread slices, I reduce my enjoyment of spaghetti to once a month, and I stay away from cakes/cookies/candies.
3.       I started out eating 5 times a day (3 meals and 2 snacks.) I found that this just doesn’t work for me. I switched back to eating 3 times a day, with no snacks. Every once in a while I’ll have a dessert. I try to keep each meal at around 400 calories.  If I do indulge in dessert, I keep it to 150 or less.
4.       I love miso soup, or veggie soup, or any kind of broth I can eat/drink before a meal. I actually find, like I’ve read, that it does help to fill me up before a meal. I tend to eat less at a meal after I’ve had the soup. This is particularly effective when I go for sushi. If I have miso soup beforehand, one veggie roll is enough to fill me up.
5.       I used to loathe the thought of not using mayonnaise on my sandwiches, or salad dressing on my salads. I detested mustard. I have found, through this journey that it just takes some time. I kept reducing the amount I used of each (and including mustard) and eventually I removed mayo from my sandwiches all together. If I have a packet of ranch dressing now I’ll generally use ¼ of the packet. I never ever thought I would get to this point. Mayo tastes a little disgusting to me now.
6.       I find that I can do without “add-on” calories really easy. I never get cheese on my sandwiches, burgers, salads, tacos. I never get croutons. I do without mayo and salad dressing. I never use butter at the table. I can do without the rolls. I can do without appetizers. I don’t need dessert at a restaurant.  These sound common sense, but you are talking to a girl that used to go to a restaurant and act like it was a five course meal each time.
I know I have tons others. I’d like to hear from you guys as I am always looking for new ideas – do you have any tips or tricks you’ve learned along the way?

4 comments:

  1. Oooh, thanks for the tips!!

    I think my big tip (which you probably already do because yo're a rock star!) is to make sure to bring my breakfast, lunch and healthy snacks to work so it won't be hard for me to turn down the free snacks and luncheons that we have here. Sometimes someone brings in donuts, bagels, pizza, cupcakes, but because I have my stuff here I don't even want that crap.

    Keep doing what you're doing, it's def working for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you reduced the mayo over time rather than completely cut it out all at once. I've found that I've been slowly reducing my portion sizes. I can't eat an entire chicken breast and I prefer just barely enough salad dressing to taste it.

    The soup idea is great, I drink a lot of hot water at lunch, it's comforting, makes me feel full...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your header picture!! LOL. I also am trying to limit my carbs. That seems to be the key to weight loss, but I sure love my carbs so it is not easy.

    Anyways, I am new to your blog and followed. I wanted to say "hi". I also blog about my weight loss journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!! :D I look forward to reading you, too, I joined up!

      Delete