Thursday, March 8, 2012

Bad Diet Advice

It’s hard to politely decline bad advice sometimes.

Just as a little background, my office centers itself around food. We have pot lucks. We have office-bought lunches. We have events that are catered. We talk about what we had for dinner the night before, what we’re having for lunch that day, and what we plan to snack on in between. We share recipes, we share reviews on restaurants, and we share our food in the fridge.

In a recent discussion about food, a co-worker attempted to convince me that cheating every now and then isn’t bad, as long as you get back to your diet the next day.

What kind of addict thinks it will be okay for plan-ahead relapsing as long as you are sober from then on? I will not plan ahead to relapse into bad eating. I know it’s going to happen – we have to eat and we are constantly bombarded in all directions with food – but to plan ahead to relapse just seems like the most counter-productive behavior I can imagine.

I’ve learned to politely nod my head, smile, and walk-away when it comes to bad diet advice. It’s taken a while, though!

4 comments:

  1. Very wise of you. I'm trying to get back on the wagon and struggling badly. Why can it not be easier that's what I say!

    Dp
    X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I know what you mean, I'm going through the same thing at work. I think we know what's best for US, and although people may be well-meaning, we just have to let it go one ear and out the other. Like, I know I could never have a planned "cheat" day each week. Maybe it works for some, but definitely not me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh goodness, I'd have a hard time in that environment with all the office lunches, and potluck meals.

    If her journey includes "cheating" now and again, that's fine for her (however, I don't think she should call it cheating), but she shouldn't try to talk you or anyone else into doing the same.

    Besides, if you are going to have a less than healthy choice, why wait for the next day? Every meal/snack is the opportunity to make a healthy choice...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well thats an interesting way to look at it. I guess if it works for her to plan her bad food choices then ok, but for those of us trying to be committed its hard enough without someone telling you its ok to justify her behavior.

    ReplyDelete